TUSCALOOSA, Ala. – Alabama football’s Shane Lee and Dylan Moses have been named to the 2020 Dick Butkus Award Watch List, the Butkus Foundation announced today.
Lee and Moses are among 51 candidates from around the country named to the preseason list for the Butkus, which is given to the nation’s top linebacker. Four Crimson Tide players have won the award previously with Reuben Foster taking home the hardware most recently in 2016. Joining Foster on the list of Alabama linebackers to capture the honors are C.J. Mosley (2013), Rolando McClain (2009) and Derrick Thomas (1988).
- Called into duty at middle linebacker as a freshman and put together a solid season in 2019
- Started all 13 games on his way to earning Freshman All-America honors from both the FWAA and ESPN.com
- Selected to the Freshman All-SEC team by the league coaches
- Paced all league freshmen in tackles with 86 and ranked third among first-year defenders in tackles for loss at 6.5 (-33 yards)
- Finished second on the Tide defense in tackles and added 4.5 sacks (-29 yards) to go with three quarterback hurries
- Picked off one pass, forced two fumbles and recovered one fumble to round out his first collegiate season
- One of the top linebackers and defensive players in the country
- Returns to the field after missing the 2019 season with an injury
- Played in 26 career games with 17 starts to his name
- Totaled 126 tackles, including 15.5 for loss (-65 yards) and five sacks (-46 yards) in two seasons
- Also forced a pair of fumbles, picked off one pass and broke up another in his career
- Led the Tide defense with 86 tackles in 2018 on his way to being named a finalist for the Butkus Award and earning second team All-America honors
The Butkus Award has been presented annually since 1985 by the Butkus Foundation to recognize the top linebacker in college football. The award is named in honor of college and NFL Hall of Fame linebacker Dick Butkus. The 2020 winner will be announced at the conclusion of the regular season and recognized at the annual ESPN Home Depot College Football Awards Show in December.
Get all the latest information on the team by following @AlabamaFTBL on Twitter and Facebook and AlabamaFBL on Instagram. General athletic news can also be found at UA_Athletics on Twitter and Instagram and AlabamaAthletics on Facebook.